The New Styles

Subject: The New Styles
From: James Montgomerie (jamie@montgomerie.net)
Date: Mon Mar 12 2001 - 09:45:53 CST

I just checked out e fresh CVS of Abiword to do some work on (i.e. using
as a word processor, not coding).

The hasty decision to switch to the new styles is perplexing me. All my
documents now have double-width spaces between all the paragraph,
because the 'Normal' style has changed to have a blank line-space after
each explicitly typed 'enter'. Whilst this might be the more
typographically 'correct' option, it is not what I expect from a word
processor - 'enter' starts a new /line/ not a new /paragraph/.

Everyone presses enter twice to start a new paragraph. On AbiWord, that
now gives a gigantic vertical space instead of a blank line space.

This change is already frustrating me, and I am absolutely sure that, if
it makes it into a release, it will frustrate most users too.

Jamie.