Re: Where should Headers/footers dialog be?

Subject: Re: Where should Headers/footers dialog be?
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Mon Mar 12 2001 - 12:19:43 CST

At 08:11 AM 3/12/01 -0500, Randy Kramer wrote:
>Sam TH wrote:
>>
>> I agree that having that dialog named Show Header/Footer is a poor
>> choice. However, might we not want an option for viewing
>> headers/footers or not? That would belong under the View menu.
>
>I don't have an immediate opinion about where to put the dialog, but I
>do think you need a means to choose to view or not view the headers, at
>least for the "Normal view" which would not show the exact page layout.

Agreed. We'll need one set of terminology which makes sense for *all* kinds
of views.

In normal view, selecting this menu displays the header/footer panes for
viewing and editing, along with a special-purpose inline toolbar to allow
standard operations (like inserting date, time, and page number).

In page layout, the header/footer was (probably) already displayed, but
selecting this menu does three things to mimic the same mode:

  1. display the dashed border
  2. bring up the special-purpose toolbar (as a popup)
  3. activate editing of the contents

Note that the two are largely symmetric, which I'm sure is no accident.
They're just two different affordances for invoking similar functionality.

Paul