MacOS details (was Re: how should we localize locale names?)

Subject: MacOS details (was Re: how should we localize locale names?)
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Mon Mar 12 2001 - 16:06:40 CST

At 12:39 PM 3/10/01 +0000, Hubert Figuiere wrote:
>According to Paul Rohr <paul@abisource.com>:
>> Ouch. Are you saying that that there's no reasonable way on those MacOS
>> versions to do what we do on Windows and perhaps other platforms, namely:
>>
>> - layout a fixed dialog resource with wide-enough placeholders, and
>> - replace them with strings loaded at runtime from some textish file?
>
>This is doable. But there is no standard way to do it.
>Also having 25 languages will make this a little bit complex. Nothing
>that I can't work around however.

I understand why N=2 languages is worse than N=1, because you have to
replace all the string literals in all your dialog/ menu/ etc. resources.
However, if you're doing the replacement __at run time__ like we do on all
the other platforms, I don't see why there'd be *any* difference between N=2
and N=25.

What am I missing?

>MacOS X provide mechanism to offer localized strings and localized GUI
>layouts within a single binary similar to what gettext does.

To take advantage of that mechanism, will you need to convert all our
strings from some XP format (.strings, .po, etc.) to whatever MacOS uses?

Paul