Re: Commit: many things

Subject: Re: Commit: many things
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 14 2001 - 04:04:14 CST

On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 02:15:53PM -0500, Dom Lachowicz wrote:
> This commit represents a few things:
>
> 1) John Clark's excellent XHTML export patch with 1 small change by me
> 2) Fixes a small bug in the Gnome styles dialog
> 3) Small optimization in the options dialog
> 4) The beginnings of Normal and Web layout modes
>
> I am planning on rewriting a large chunk of the HTML importer to be more
> robust and properly handle a lot of CSS (only what is defined in style=""
> attribute for now). The exported HTML now looks beautiful code-wise and when
> viewed in a browser. No other WP in the *world* produces HTML that looks as
> clean as ours and is as close visually to the original document as we do.
> Good Work!

Definitely. I created a page with lists, used the Web Preview (how's
that for a buzzword) and validated the file using both the HTML and
CSS validators at w3.org, and we passed with flying colors.

I was going to see what other word processors did, but neither KWord
nor StarOffice would start for me. Darn. And of course, Microsoft
"HTML" export is half elements that aren't even in HTML, and were only
ever dreamed of in the feverish ravings of some poor Word coder. :-)

Well done.

sam th --- sam@uchicago.edu --- http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
OpenPGP Key: CABD33FC --- http://samth.dyndns.org/key
DeCSS: http://samth.dynds.org/decss