Re: debug messages

Subject: Re: debug messages
From: Thomas Fletcher (thomasf@qnx.com)
Date: Wed Mar 14 2001 - 14:36:27 CST

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Dom Lachowicz wrote:

> Thomas F wrote:
> > No DONT'T terminate the messages with \n. The UT_DEBUGMSG()
> >macro will already put a newline on things for you. I hate
> >having all of our stuff double spaced on debug output!
>
> You're only partially correct here:
>
> The Unix version: fprintf(stderr,"DEBUG: %s",sBuf);
> The QNX version: fprintf(stderr,"DEBUG: %s\n",sBuf);
> The BeOS version: fprintf(stderr,"DEBUG: %s",sBuf);
> The Win32 version: OutputDebugString(sBuf);
> The Mac version: DebugStr(sBuf);
>
> So of the debugmsg's that *directly* depend on printf, only QNX is getting
> newlines afterwords for obvious reasons. And the Win32 and Mac code doesn't
> explicitly add a newline to the buf either. I'd suggest removing the '\n'
> because it's not obvious to me that every debug message should start on a
> new line.

I stand corrected. This must have been changed (fairly
recently) and whoever made the change just never bothered
with the QNX version. Sigh ... one lonely man against the
world.

Thomas
Thomas (toe-mah) Fletcher QNX Software Systems
thomasf@qnx.com Neutrino Development Group
(613)-591-0931 http://www.qnx.com/~thomasf