consensus? (was Re: TODO icons and labels)

Subject: consensus? (was Re: TODO icons and labels)
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Thu Mar 15 2001 - 14:48:49 CST

At 11:41 AM 3/13/01 +0400, Vlad Harchev wrote:
> As for my opinion - I greatly prefer 3), then 1), but I strongly object
>to using "TODO". Just think about very annoyed user - s/he will have to know
>CVS, know C syntax (to update *.h files), know English and know how to submit
>a patch that fixes the translation (and s/he should be subscribed to our
>mailing list in order to know when we plan to release). It's impractical to
>expect such level f knoweledge from french church secretary.
>
> 3) or 1) is much better than "TODO" since untranslated strings are unique,
>and so that two menuitems placed side by side are distinguishable by eye (I'm
>talking about the ease of use of AW with not-finished l10n).
>
> So I'm heartfully looking forward to removing "TODO" fallback and using
>untranslated strings.

AFAIK, the widely-despised user-hostile TODO fallbacks are now gone in favor
of option #1, thanks to Joaquin's commit that spawned this thread. This is
a good first step.

There seems to be an emerging consensus (Vlad & Joaquin) that prefixing the
en-US string might be worthwhile, but Tomas prefers #2 (the warning dialog
on launch). Does either camp feel strongly enough about this to supply the
necessary code?

I'm trying to get my big fat mouth out of this decision as fast as I can
backpedal, but since I started it, I want to be sure it gets resolved once &
for all.

Paul