Re: problem seems to be solved: unreadable .hash files (dictionaries)

Subject: Re: problem seems to be solved: unreadable .hash files (dictionaries)
From: WJCarpenter (bill-abisource@carpenter.ORG)
Date: Fri Mar 16 2001 - 19:19:54 CST

paul> both here and in the file format? I know that the Unix/C locale
paul> mechanism likes underscores, but everywhere else (internet
paul> protocols, HTML, XML, etc) people use dashes.

I have never seen any standard calling for underscores, but
RFC-3066/BCP-47 calls for hyphens. In the absence of any other
standard becoming known to us, I think the choice for hyphen is pretty
clear.

OTOH, in practice (1) Various C/Unix/Java things will be done with
underscores, and (2) No matter what, "People will do the other thing"
(this is a specific instance of a general principle :-). So, our
coding should be tolerant while our documentation, installers,
examples, and attitude should reflect the choice we have made. There
was some discussion on this list a few months ago about the
difficulties of matching on either hyphen or underscore when looking
for the font subdirectories, but I didn't pay close enough attention
to remember what the issue was.