Re: Headers/Footers Page numbers.

Subject: Re: Headers/Footers Page numbers.
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Fri Mar 16 2001 - 20:33:04 CST

On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Paul Rohr wrote:

> At 08:55 AM 3/17/01 +1100, Martin Sevior wrote:
> >Well I certainly like academic discussion but in this case I do plan
> >to grey the header when not editting it and grey the text when edditing
> >the header.
>
> Darn. Does that mean you didn't like my proposal to indicate the mode
> switch by just drawing dashed borders around the header when it's editable?

> It should still be visually distinctive, but the drawing code is a lot
> simpler (and faster) than always having to decide which runs to grey.

Oh that would be lots quicker. I was thinking of the best solution to the
"Show Paragraph" issue. Here is my latest thinking.

1. If "Show Header/Footers" is not enabled do not draw box and draw grey
header.

 1.a If the user clicks in the header make the header black and the text
     grey.
 1.b If no header exits and the user clicks in header region cursor jumps
     to the bottom of the regular text as we do now.

2. If Show Header/Footers is enabled draw boxes around headers and
   footers.

 2.a If the user clicks in the header make the header black and the text
     grey.
 2.b If no header exits and the user clicks in header region, insert a
     header and place the cursor in it and grey the text. I think the
MapXYToPoistionClick methods can be made to recognize this. We will have
perfect backward compatibility and only docs where the user wants a header
will get them.

This behaviour is very similar to the MS behaviour, will be easy to
implement and is how I would want Abi to behave for me :-)

> >Maybe I'll introduce a member variable in the block and set and clear
> >greyness for the range of blocks in the visible region.
>
> Yeah, the fewer calculations we can do at drawing time, the better.

Absolutely!

Cheers

Martin