Re: Headers/Footers Page numbers.

Subject: Re: Headers/Footers Page numbers.
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Fri Mar 16 2001 - 22:28:21 CST

At 01:33 PM 3/17/01 +1100, Martin Sevior wrote:
>Oh that would be lots quicker. I was thinking of the best solution to the
>"Show Paragraph" issue. Here is my latest thinking.
>1. If "Show Header/Footers" is not enabled do not draw box and draw grey
>header.
>
> 1.a If the user clicks in the header make the header black and the text
> grey.
> 1.b If no header exits and the user clicks in header region cursor jumps
> to the bottom of the regular text as we do now.
>
>2. If Show Header/Footers is enabled draw boxes around headers and
> footers.
>
> 2.a If the user clicks in the header make the header black and the text
> grey.
> 2.b If no header exits and the user clicks in header region, insert a
> header and place the cursor in it and grey the text. I think the
>MapXYToPoistionClick methods can be made to recognize this. We will have
>perfect backward compatibility and only docs where the user wants a header
>will get them.
>
>This behaviour is very similar to the MS behaviour, will be easy to
>implement and is how I would want Abi to behave for me :-)

Gotcha. I was actually thinking of something slightly simpler.

3. To edit the header, double-click there.
3a. If no header exists, create an empty one.
3b. While editing a header, draw a dashed line around it.
3c. To get back to the body text, click there.
3d. The dashed box goes away.

4. To editing a header, choose the Header and Footer menu.
4a. If no header exists, create one.
4b. This moves the cursor inside and draws the same dashed box.
4c. As an alternative way of leaving the header, toggle that menu again.
4d. The dashed box goes away and the cursor goes back to the body.

Note that there are just two modes -- header editing and body editing -- and
you can switch between them using the mouse *or* the menu. Thus, the
following actions are all symmetrical:

  3 == 4
  3a == 4a
  3b == 4b
  3c == 4c
  3d == 4d

Likewise, there are just two drawing states -- actively being edited and
not. The graying trick is a nice additional way of differentiating the two
states, but I figured we might be able to get by without it, if need be.

In short, the menu just toggles which *container* is being edited, and any
drawing changes are a visual assist to help you differentiate between those
two editing states. Does that make sense?

Paul