Re: Headers/Footers Page numbers.

Subject: Re: Headers/Footers Page numbers.
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Sat Mar 17 2001 - 23:33:27 CST

On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Paul Rohr wrote:

> Gotcha. I was actually thinking of something slightly simpler.
>
> 3. To edit the header, double-click there.
> 3a. If no header exists, create an empty one.
> 3b. While editing a header, draw a dashed line around it.
> 3c. To get back to the body text, click there.
> 3d. The dashed box goes away.
>
> 4. To editing a header, choose the Header and Footer menu.
> 4a. If no header exists, create one.
> 4b. This moves the cursor inside and draws the same dashed box.
> 4c. As an alternative way of leaving the header, toggle that menu again.
> 4d. The dashed box goes away and the cursor goes back to the body.
>
> Note that there are just two modes -- header editing and body editing -- and
> you can switch between them using the mouse *or* the menu. Thus, the
> following actions are all symmetrical:
>
> 3 == 4
> 3a == 4a
> 3b == 4b
> 3c == 4c
> 3d == 4d
>
> Likewise, there are just two drawing states -- actively being edited and
> not. The graying trick is a nice additional way of differentiating the two
> states, but I figured we might be able to get by without it, if need be.
>
> In short, the menu just toggles which *container* is being edited, and any
> drawing changes are a visual assist to help you differentiate between those
> two editing states. Does that make sense?

I get it Paul. I agree 95% with you. The 5% of disagreement is that if
either the boxes are visible or a header is already present *single*
clicking in the header will activate it. You still have to double click in
order to create a header.

I did not know about the double clicking in Word to activate the header
after using the program for 3 years. Consequently dealing with headers was
a MAJOR frustration in Word for me.

I'll implemnt the boxes then the greying to show the current editting
state.

I really like the 4.* Header/footer Edit dialog too. I'm inspired to make
a cute Modeless dialog to implement this.

---------------------------------------
| Edit Header/Body/Footer |
| |
|- Preview ---------------------------|
| |
| ----------------------------------- |
| | | |
| ----------------------------------- |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| ----------------------------------- |
| | | |
| ----------------------------------- |
|-------------------------------------|
| Apply X Close X |
---------------------------------------

Click the header region, a box appears and "lines" in the header/footer go
from greyed out to black. Lines the body go grey. Click in the body and
the lines go there go black and the boxes disappear. Double click in any
region and the change in the dialog is immediately reflected in the
document like our "Insert Symbol" dialog. Later I will add icons to
insert "Page Numbers", Number of Pages, Most recent "Section or Chapter",
Most recent "sub-section" fields.

Section and sub-section fields will be implemented after I do numbered
headings which will happen after this header/footer stuff is done. It's
all straight forward code. It just to get written.

Cheers!

Martin