Re: Suggestion

Subject: Re: Suggestion
From: Thomas Fletcher (thomasf@qnx.com)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2001 - 06:03:49 CST

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Martin Sevior wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Art Kappler wrote:
>
> > Hi:
> >
> > When document is "saved," cannot the last cursor position be recorded as well?
> >
> > When closed on purpose, or through a / (another) required machine reboot, the document can be reopened, and be ready for functional operation.
> >
> > Art
>
> This would actually be easy to implement. We just need to save the current
> insertion point of the view from the which the document was saved. In the
> header of the our XML file. This appears to be a
> nice sexy feature that is easy to implement.
>
> Any objections? Does it violate some Church secretary or XML rule?

Just because something is easy to do doesn't mean that it should
automatically spring into existance. I think that this behavour
would drive a large number of people batty and is pure bloat code
(much in the same way that the Change Case dialog and back-end
is IMHO creeping featurism that leads to bloat ... no offense Dom,
I know where you are coming from).

Of course pundits will argue that "Just make it an option", which
my reply will be "How many options is too many options". If this
_does_ get implemented then lets make darn sure that the defult
option is to have it off.

I just hate to see this kind of bloat on features that while
interesting side programming challenges ("Hey I bet we could
make AbiWord do this!") begin to detract from the simple, small
and efficient WordProcessor that your average joe/suzy can
easily dive into and use.

Of course your time is your own ... but already know that we are
starting to get too big for some small devices like the iPaq so
features like this would be the first to go in a consumer device
world (if say some company making hand-held computing devices
decided they wanted to use/license AbiWord for these devices in
a hypotheticl world).

Thomas