Re: Suggestion

Subject: Re: Suggestion
From: Ron Ross (ronross@colba.net)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2001 - 15:05:02 CST

"Dom Lachowicz" <cinamod@hotmail.com> writes:

> >This would actually be easy to implement. We just need to save the current
> >insertion point of the view from the which the document was saved. In the
> >header of the our XML file. This appears to be a
> >nice sexy feature that is easy to implement.

[...]

> Also, let's look at precendent:
> MSWord: no
> StarOffice: no
> WP: no
> Emacs: no
> vi: no
> MSWorks: no
>
> Having this on by default is sure to confuse the hell out of our users.

A brief break from my "lurker" status to make a small correction.

WordPerfect has had this feature for a while. It's not on by default,
but it's there, and I use it regularly.

And I may be wrong, but I think Emacs' "desktop save" feature does this.
I know it saves state to a large extent (major and minor modes), but I
haven't used the desktop package in a while. Also, one or more of the
many window session saving packages floating around probably do this as
well.

A related feature is bookmarking. This is in fact the underlying
mechanism in both WP and Emacs. Are there plans to implement bookmarks
in AbiWord?

Cheers,

Ron