Re: AbiWord under Irix_SGI

Subject: Re: AbiWord under Irix_SGI
From: Francois Dupradeau (fyd@u-picardie.fr)
Date: Fri Mar 23 2001 - 06:05:01 CST

        Dear Martin,

First thanks for your answers and explanations.

> Your best bet is to download the abi-0.7.13 source tarball
>with everything and try to compile it. Say you put it in
>/usr/local/src/abiword.
>then cd /usr/local/src/abiword/abi
>make prefix=/usr/local/src/abiword UNIX_CAN_BUILD_STATIC=0 install
>should compile it and put an executible in
>/usr/local/src/AbiSuite/bin
>called AbiWord
>Then you've got it. Report compile errors to us and someone will try to
>help. Hopefully someone else with IRIX.
>Of course you need a late version of gtk already compiled and installed.
>Good Luck!

I got an answer from SGI: Here it is :
Please see http://freeware.sgi.com/shared/faq.html#Q4.3:
Q4.3: Why do I get BadMatch errors, crashes, blue-on-blue text, etc.?
Many Linux systems use a single X visual and colormap for all windows by
default; IRIX doesn't. As a result there are a variety of bugs lurking in
the source code where programmers have, for example, allocated colors in the
wrong colormap or assumed that all windows have the same depth. Try making
your default X server visual 24-bit TrueColor by adding "-depth 24 -class
TrueColor" to /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers. (Run xdpyinfo first to make sure
your server supports this visual, and be sure to restart the X server after
making a change. Logging out may not be enough!)

My feeling is that it should be a general problem for a lot of programs with
graphic interface under IRIX.
I even wonder if it is not a general problem whatever the AbiWord version...
I tested the FAQ_4.3 and it works for the verison 0.7.8
When I will have time (not now...) I will try to compile a newer AbiWord
version.

Best regards,
Francois

 --