Re: Suggestion (preferences)

Subject: Re: Suggestion (preferences)
From: Chris Winne (chris@wru.umt.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 23 2001 - 09:20:06 CST

> In this case, the first time you open a document with
> a saved cursor position other than at the beginning,
> you are offered:
>
> When opening documents Abiword can auto-
> matically return to the place last edited/
> read/whatever.
>
> Would you like to enable this feature? It
> can be disabled by deselecting "Return to
> saved cursor position" in the preferences
> dialog, accessible from the tools menu.
>
> [ YES ]
> [ NO ]
> [ NO, AND DON'T BOTHER ME AGAIN ]
> [ READ MORE ABOUT THIS STUFF ]
>
> For all the slagging off that people do of Word, this
> sort of things can actually be quite useful (I forget
> what they call it). In my opinion, only the implement-
> ation sucks. Because Abi has a much more direct user
> feedback path, its behaviour under these circumstances
> can be tuned to behave much more sensibly.
>
> Matthew.

I like preferences. I'm thinking that this feature, however, could maybe best
be implemented (as I think I saw a suggesed in a post passing through this list)
with a bookmark procedure that is saved from edit to edit session, with the
`last position' bookmark autoimplemented.

Regards preferences: I do like them as they offer good personal customization.
One problem I often have as any package grows is determining what I have
changed, particularly if I set an option that proves cruel. The `reset to
default' is marginally useful, as it usually destroys all the useful
customization. I would like to see a preference tool that would indicate, say,
how the current customization differs from default (and perhaps additionally
from an alternative preference file), and perhaps keep a history with date stamp
of changes and the option to rollback any particular option. Is this too
convoluted??

Oh, Abiword is great. So much so that I use it at work remotely logged on
(through my slow home modem connection) to my home Linux on a Pentium 166 from
an RS6000 44P Model 570 running AIX 4.3.3. I for the life of me cannot get past
all the compile errors on AIX, though some progress has been made.

Chris