Re: Commit: fix that spelling + images bug

Subject: Re: Commit: fix that spelling + images bug
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Fri Mar 23 2001 - 20:22:56 CST

At 05:51 PM 3/23/01 -0800, WJCarpenter wrote:
>paul> 1. Wouldn't persisting the ignored words list help a lot here?
>
>I think it would help a lot.

I thought so.

>It wouldn't necessarily help with the
>case that Dom illustrated ... someone using an entirely different base
>dictionary.

Yeah. That actually creates a screw case I hadn't thought of for my prior
suggestion that we ignore all langs we haven't explicitly enabled a
dictionary for. If I have en-US and en-GB content and dictionaries
available, but the en-GB dictionary is turned off, what should happen to the
en-GB content?

  - Dom: fall back to en-US so I can nuke it
  - alt: wrong lang, don't check at all

I suspect Dom's right, but I'm not sure. We could certainly code it either
way.

>It also wouldn't help if someone chose to add their
>jargon spell-check false positives to their personal dictionary
>instead of their "ignore all" list.

I guess it depends on whether you want that jargon in your personal
dictionary, too. If I'm sharing documents with that person regularly, we
probably share most such terminology, no?

>I personally find it extremely distracting to have other people's
>spelling and grammar mistakes highlighted for me in contexts where it
>isn't important.

Thanks to Dom, I can currently do alt-T-S-A for this. Would a more direct
keybinding help?

>(Years of Usenet training have made me the ultimate
>tolerant individual. :-)

Oh, I hear you. Loud and clear. :-)

Paul