Re: Commit: fix that spelling + images bug

Subject: Re: Commit: fix that spelling + images bug
From: WJCarpenter (bill-abisource@carpenter.ORG)
Date: Fri Mar 23 2001 - 20:03:11 CST

paul> 2. Do we need a separate mode for this, or would just turning
paul> squiggles off suffice? Under what circumstances should that be
paul> a persistent per-document setting? I can't think of any good
paul> ones.

I wasn't really thinking of a separate mode, per se. I was thinking
of these conditions:

1. We have persistent per-document preferences.

2. Some (perhaps small) subset of those preferences could reasonably
    be changed at the user's instigation to move a document to the "I
    am done; I want to send this to others" state.

3. It would be a thoughtful feature to whack one logical button to
    make all those preference changes.

The overall idea would be to disable stuff that is of the most help to
authors (but which could otherwise be distracting) and enable stuff
that is of help to readers. (Disable/enable aren't exactly the
correct words here.) Whether or not doing all that under the covers
adds up to a "mode" is not a deep-seated engineering question, I
think.

Possibilities...

* spell check, grammar check, sanity check (ooops :-)
* horizontal and vertical rulers and visible tab markers
* some subset of toolbars

I'm not suggesting we in any way lock down a document to keep a
recipient from changing it. (That's a sometimes-useful but unrelated
feature.) They could always trivially toggle things back into author
mode (which is just re-jiggling the per-document preferences, perhaps
mediated by their own personal preferences).