Re: Commit: fix that spelling + images bug

Subject: Re: Commit: fix that spelling + images bug
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Fri Mar 23 2001 - 18:58:49 CST

At 04:35 PM 3/23/01 -0800, WJCarpenter wrote:
>dom> Spellchecked with en-UK this is great and correct. However, I
>dom> personally can't *stand* colour, maximize, etc... so they should
>dom> be marked as incorrect since I'm in en-US land. So now we're up
>
>I think there is a worthwhile distinction between spelling (and a few
>other items) for authoring versus audience. If we had per-document
>preferences, I think it would be a great service to provide a
>convenience dialog to switch a document from authoring mode to
>audience mode, at which point spell-checking would be turned off,
>etc. (Good place for some clever analysis of what's helpful there.)

Three random questions:

1. Wouldn't persisting the ignored words list help a lot here? ;-)

2. Do we need a separate mode for this, or would just turning squiggles off
suffice? Under what circumstances should that be a persistent per-document
setting? I can't think of any good ones.

3. Is the decision to not spell-check a document something we want authors
to decide or readers? If someone sends me a resume, for example, with typos
in it, I won't be very impressed. The fact that they had spell check turned
off (or ignored it) is pretty sloppy. I'd be even *less* impressed if they
tried to hide those squiggles from me as well.

>(I used to find it so hard to read _The Economist_ after I had
>corrected all their misspellings! The nerve of those people. :-)

Indeed, tally ho, and all that rot. :-)

Paul,
hardly fluent in en-GB