Re: Commit: fix that spelling + images bug

Subject: Re: Commit: fix that spelling + images bug
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Fri Mar 23 2001 - 19:03:23 CST

At 04:35 PM 3/23/01 -0800, WJCarpenter wrote:
>I think there is a worthwhile distinction between spelling (and a few
>other items) for authoring versus audience. If we had per-document
>preferences, I think it would be a great service to provide a
>convenience dialog to switch a document from authoring mode to
>audience mode, at which point spell-checking would be turned off,
>etc. (Good place for some clever analysis of what's helpful there.)

It just occurred to me -- are you suggesting that we use different defaults
for read-only documents? That makes slightly more sense to me. In
particular, it could get quite frustrating to right-click on a squiggle in a
read-only document. It's not like you can make the change, right?

I guess it'd depend on how we implement read-only, huh? If we let you type
but force any saves to go to another file, then squiggles are OK. However,
I'd guess that read-only prevents any changes at all, in which case the
above argument starts becoming more appealing.

Paul,
who hit send too fast the last time