RE: Commit: Enable printing of Coloured backgrounds.

Subject: RE: Commit: Enable printing of Coloured backgrounds.
From: WJCarpenter (bill-abisource@carpenter.ORG)
Date: Sun Mar 25 2001 - 11:36:01 CST

ms> "Use White for Paper background while composing X | change | "

ms> Then this would have the check box X enabled by
ms> default. Unchecking this and pressing "Change" pops up our color
ms> picker dialog.

This is "UI-smithing", but every developer is a UI expert, so here
goes....

* Is it possible/contemplated/easy to show a little chunk of the color
  if it's not white? (Or maybe even if it is?)

* I think the text should more aggressively indicate that it's a
  screen background for otherwise-unspecified-documents. Saying paper
  can lead to confusion about what happens with printing.

* I know printing stuff is generally aggregated elsewhere, but it
  would be nice to deal with both of them in the same place, even if
  redundantly for the printer stuff.

To summarize, maybe this:

================

"Default background screen color if document has none: [ ]"
"Default foreground (text) screen color if document has none: [ ]"

"Use colorless background when printing? [x]"

================

The "[ ]" is intended to represent a little swatch of the current
color choice, and when you click it you get the color chooser. (In
some places you might get a colour chooser!)

The print stuff would have no background color by default. (I'm not
completely in love with "colorless background", but I think the phrase
"transparent background" is confusing. What is it that you can see
through the background. Yeah, the paper. Not enough people these
days are clear on the difference between transparent and translucent,
so I think "transparent background" gives pause.)

I don't think the above completely conveys the notion that it is a
user setting and not a document setting. Perhaps someone can suggest
an improvement that does convey that without getting into a long
tangle of an explanation in the dialog box.