More on Background Colors in Word 97

Subject: More on Background Colors in Word 97
From: Randy Kramer (rhkramer@fast.net)
Date: Mon Mar 26 2001 - 12:54:04 CST

I'm still writing a document to describe the various views in Word 97.
I've just done some experimenting related the Online Layout view, and
learned the following (this is cut and pasted from the current revision
of the document). (Online Layout has two panes -- the left hand pane
shows the document outline (and is also called the Document Map) and the
right hand pane shows the document in Normal view.)

The right hand pane has the normal white background. (I'll have to see
about changing the background -- I always leave mine white.) The
background of the left pane is gray, which gives it a subdued appearance
and clearly distinguishes it from the right hand pane.

OK, I just changed the background color using Format | Background. It
changes the color of the right hand pane only. Furthermore, it effects
only the right hand pane in this view -- it does not change the
background color in Page Layout, Normal, Outline, or Master Document
view, and, you cannot use Format | Background to change the background
color in those other views. (This fits in with a current discussion on
the abiword-dev list, and matches a vague recollection I have (also
mentioned by someone on the list) about an option to get white text on a
blue background and that maybe the only way to change background colors
for the other views is by changing something in Windows.)

Hope this helps,
Randy Kramer