Re: [Crash] [win98] Opening many windows causes crash

Subject: Re: [Crash] [win98] Opening many windows causes crash
From: Michael D. Pritchett (mpritchett@attglobal.net)
Date: Mon Mar 26 2001 - 21:51:10 CST

----- Original Message -----
From: Ron Ross <ronross@colba.net>
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2001 2:32 PM

> Alan Horkan <horkana@tcd.ie> writes:
>
> > [Windows 98]
> > I opened lots of new windows and abi crashed. I repeated this a few
> > times and noticed i was unable to get past 20 windows.
> > (using fridays ngihtly build)
>
> Confirmed (and then some) on Windows 98 SE, AbiWord 0.7.13.
>
> On the 18th window, not just AbiWord, but Windows froze (only mouse
> movement, nothing accepted any input from mouse or keyboard), requiring
> a reboot.
>
> Ron

I investigaged this issue and I too see this happening. For me it was at 12
windows. It seems that each AbiWord frame takes a fair hunk of the Win32
limited GDI. At a certain point GDI runs out of available memory and
AbiWord crashes when attempting a new instance.

As far as I know, outside of upgrading operating system or optimizing the
nuts and bolts of the graphic data for the Win32 system, there is not much
to be done.

Cheers!

Michael D. Pritchett