Re: Headers, footers, and tab stops for formatting

Subject: Re: Headers, footers, and tab stops for formatting
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Tue Mar 27 2001 - 15:46:06 CST

At 03:01 PM 3/25/01 +1000, Martin Sevior wrote:
>I can quickly think of a practical use. My Letter Head lists my position
>and affilition at Melbourne Uni in a column on one side of a png image of
>the Unimelb logo and contact details in a column on the other side of the
>logo. Right now these are contained in a seperate section of my template
>file for letters from me to other people. When we also allow different
>headers on the front/even/odd pages it would make sense to put all that
>into the header itself.

Good example. To do letterheads properly, we'll need to implement both of
the following post-1.0 features:

  - allow tables in headers/footers
  - implement "first page special" for distinct header/footers

I still haven't heard a good use case for columns there, though.

While some of the formatting abstractions may be similar, the following
assertion still holds:

  "columns != tables"

:-)

Paul