Re: Am I an idiot, or is this wrong?

Subject: Re: Am I an idiot, or is this wrong?
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Tue Mar 27 2001 - 16:34:19 CST

At 03:08 PM 3/27/01 -0600, Sam TH wrote:
>This is a behavior that annoys me too. If you look at your document,
>you should find that the line breaks appear a <br/> instead of
>applies to your whole document.

As Sam points out, the difference between forced line breaks (<br/>) and
paragraph breaks (</p><p>) is entirely relevant here. For the formatting
behavior you want, the selection should have paragraph breaks, but for some
reason, it doesn't. Show paragraphs is your friend here.

To track down this bug some more, you probably want to set some breakpoints
and see what the other app put on the clipboard.

Another possibility is that no RTF content wound up on the clipboard and our
plain-text importer is imposing that policy decision for us. Given the
performance implications of lots of one-line paragraphs, I'd tread lightly
when considering changes here.

>This bug manifests itself in more annoying form, (for me at least)
>when you insert a page break. Then centering the text beofe the break
>does it to the text afterwards as well. This bug was discussed by me
>and paul bout a year ago, but I couldn't find it.

That's a slightly different issue. We should support the paragraph-level
"page-break-before" property in the formatter, but currently don't.

  HINT -- implementing this is a heck of a lot easier than what
  Martin's been doing recently for headers and footers.

In the mean time, people use the workaround of manually inserting forced
page breaks (<pbr/>), which can lead to the effects Sam is describing.

Paul