Am I an idiot, or is this wrong?

Subject: Am I an idiot, or is this wrong?
From: Tom Briggs (tomabi@jules.briggs.cx)
Date: Tue Mar 27 2001 - 11:54:03 CST

   (Don't answer that. Not yet anyway.)

   I created a document by copy-n-pasting a bunch of text from my email
client into an empty doc (just one action, not in multiple
steps; it constitutes about a full page of text). Then I saved it.
   A couple hours later I opened it up to work on it. The first line has
a single word on it; I wanted this word to be the title of the document,
if you will, so I selected it and hit the Center button on the Format
toolbar.
   My entire document is now centered.
   Selecting any other part of the document and hitting the Right Align
button on the Format toolbar re-right-aligns the entire document,
including the first line.

   So I ask again: am I an idiot, or is this wrong?

   -Tom