Re: Am I an idiot, or is this wrong?

Subject: Re: Am I an idiot, or is this wrong?
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 27 2001 - 15:08:06 CST

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 12:54:03PM -0500, Tom Briggs wrote:

> (Don't answer that. Not yet anyway.)
>
> I created a document by copy-n-pasting a bunch of text from my email
> client into an empty doc (just one action, not in multiple
> steps; it constitutes about a full page of text). Then I saved it.
> A couple hours later I opened it up to work on it. The first line has
> a single word on it; I wanted this word to be the title of the document,
> if you will, so I selected it and hit the Center button on the Format
> toolbar.
> My entire document is now centered.
> Selecting any other part of the document and hitting the Right Align
> button on the Format toolbar re-right-aligns the entire document,
> including the first line.

This is a behavior that annoys me too. If you look at your document,
you should find that the line breaks appear a <br/> instead of
applies to your whole document.

This bug manifests itself in more annoying form, (for me at least)
when you insert a page break. Then centering the text beofe the break
does it to the text afterwards as well. This bug was discussed by me
and paul bout a year ago, but I couldn't find it.

But if you look at other WPs, they have the same behavior (which i
think is wrong).

So that's why it happens. I don't have a good fix for it, but I don't
think you're wrong.

sam th --- sam@uchicago.edu --- http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
OpenPGP Key: CABD33FC --- http://samth.dyndns.org/key
DeCSS: http://samth.dynds.org/decss