Re: en-GB localisation [1of2] -- pica / pico ?

Subject: Re: en-GB localisation [1of2] -- pica / pico ?
From: Randy Kramer (rhkramer@fast.net)
Date: Tue Mar 27 2001 - 15:12:57 CST

Alan Horkan wrote:
> The dictionary suggests pica rather than pico (which is not in the
> dictionary) but i'd rather not change it, i remember pico/nano etc from
> Mathematics. So unless someone more expert comes forward im leaving
> well enough alone.

Alan,

I was surprised (when I looked in your second file) that the AbiWord
variable name is DLG_Unit_pico, because I would have guessed that we
were talking about the pica unit of type (as in typefaces), and also
from the real typewriters, which came in pica (10 characters to the
inch) and elite (12 characters to the inch) (horizontally -- vertically
they were both 6 characters to the inch).

I would have guessed that pica refers to either 1/6 or 1/10 of an inch
(my dictionary defines pica as a unit of about 1/6 inch used in typeface
related measurements).

I took a quick look in Word97 -- it does not list pica in help, although
I suspect it may be a choice in some of the settings -- didn't find the
choice in margins.

Maybe someone else will step forward and explain the intent of
DLG_Unit_pico.

Randy Kramer