Re: commit: persistent ignored words

Subject: Re: commit: persistent ignored words
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Tue Mar 27 2001 - 19:29:35 CST

At 04:14 PM 3/27/01 -0800, WJCarpenter wrote:
>Some warm, fuzzy stuff could be wrapped around the above if desired.
>For example, hitting a button called "edit ignored words list" could
>automatically open a new AbiWord document with some exciting special
>name like " *Ingored Words List*" (heh, guess where that idea came
>from), copy the ignored words list to the clipboard, and then paste
>them into the newly opened document. When anyone tried to close or
>save the document, the reverse operation would be performed ("save as"
>would work normally).
>
>Ditto, approximately, for editing the custom dictionary.
>
>The disadvantages of this approach is that they are more of the flavor
>of eating our own dogfood than previous UI mechanisms in AbiWord.

Definitely. I've always believed that the UI for editing the custom
dictionary should work as follows:

  1. Disable spell-checking.
  2. Save the current dictionary to disk.
  3. Open a text file with the contents of the dictionary.
  4. Edit to your heart's content
  5. When you save & close that file, reload the dictionary.
  6. ... and turn spell-checking back on.

The advantage of this over a dialog-based UI is that you're not stuck
scrolling around a cramped listbox, and you get Find for free.

Note that this is all fairly straightforward XP work, since we already have
code for the following steps:

  #2, saving CUSTOM.DIC to disk
  #3, it's a UTF-8 file
  #4, it's AbiWord

Thus, the main work is to implement #1 and #6, and perhaps to change the
default font to Courier.

Presumably, a similar UI for ignored words would also work, although I'm not
sure whether we'd need to indicate *which* document's ignored words list is
currently being edited.

Paul
motto -- great minds think alike