Re: adding ispell hash files

Subject: Re: adding ispell hash files
From: Vlad Harchev (hvv@hippo.ru)
Date: Wed Mar 28 2001 - 03:04:52 CST

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Tomas Frydrych wrote:

 Hi Tomas,

> I would like to add an en-GB.hash, but the one I have got does not
> work with our ispell. If I recall corretly, Vlad recently suggested how
> a conversion from one format to another could be done, but I have
> not been able to locate the posting in the list archives. Further, how
> do I produce the Big Endian version of the hash file on a LE
> machine?

 That thread has started on March 16, in message with title
"problem seems to be solved: unreadable .hash files (dictionaries)".
I've forwarded that mail to you.

 The solution I was talking about is described in short as following: get the
source for your ispell dictionary, tweak various makefile options that are
tweakable and keep building various versions of dictionary until AbiWord can
load it :)

> Also, where should we put any additional dictionaries? The default
> american.hash is located in abidistfiles, but this is a required
> package while the extra dictionaries should be optional; we are
> talking about fairly large files, possibly 2M+, so I think we should
> make them available individually. Perhaps we might want to create
> a new CVS module 'abioptional' and put the dictionaries in a
> directory 'dictionaries' within it, probably providing a tgz and zip
> versions of each dictionary, and adding a link at the webpage. Any
> objections/suggestions?

 I think CVS is bad at handling binary files. I think it's better to put built
hash files on abisource.com or (if bandwidth doesn't permit it) on
sourceforge.. And yes, files should be available individually I think.

 As a side note, Mandrake distribution (at least 7.2) contains a lot of ispell
dictionaries - we can get all them, build in the format AW understands, and
put all them somewhere.

> Tomas

 Best regards,
  -Vlad