Mac DOCs

Subject: Mac DOCs
From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 03:02:07 CDT

Hi Dom,

> MAC Word format is not the same as WinWord. wv doesn't handle Mac Word DOCs
> (will it ever?) The main problem here is that:

I think MacWord format is exactly the same as WinWord, but
everything numerical in it gets saved in big-endian fashion. If you
save a MacWord document onto a PC formated floppy it can be
opened by WinWord no problem (even if you just email it from the
floppy). On the other hand, if you save MacWord on a Mac
formated disk, Windows version of Word cannot open it.
Endianness is the only obvious explanation for this behaviour.

Tomas