Re: Change lists to mailman?

Subject: Re: Change lists to mailman?
From: Jesper Skov (jskov@zoftcorp.adsl.dk)
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 03:03:45 CDT

Sam> Currently, our three email lists are run by majordomo. However,
Sam> majordomo has some problems.

Sam> 1. It's non-free. 2. It sucks.

Sam> So, in light of these disadvantages, I'd like to move to GNU
Sam> Mailman. Mailman is the software used by most free software
Sam> projects, and provides a way to subscribe and unsubscribe over
Sam> the web.

Sam> Does anyone have any objections to moving to mailman? Since it
Sam> has no traffic, abisource-announce is being moved later today.
Sam> My question merely relates to abiword-dev and abiword-user.

I think we should switch *if* you can get the archives moved too.

As for Aaron's concern, it's possible to disable the monthly password
reminders... But then, I can't figure out what could be lost if
someone got their password hijacked - keep the mailing list members
secret to all but the admin.

Oh, and unless we use SSL (is it supported?) the password would go out
in the clear anyway if the user changed options...

Jesper