Re: Change lists to mailman?

Subject: Re: Change lists to mailman?
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 06:03:10 CDT

On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 10:03:45AM +0200, Jesper Skov wrote:

> Sam> Currently, our three email lists are run by majordomo. However,
> Sam> majordomo has some problems.
>
> Sam> 1. It's non-free. 2. It sucks.
>
> Sam> So, in light of these disadvantages, I'd like to move to GNU
> Sam> Mailman. Mailman is the software used by most free software
> Sam> projects, and provides a way to subscribe and unsubscribe over
> Sam> the web.
>
> Sam> Does anyone have any objections to moving to mailman? Since it
> Sam> has no traffic, abisource-announce is being moved later today.
> Sam> My question merely relates to abiword-dev and abiword-user.
>
> I think we should switch *if* you can get the archives moved too.

I can get the archives moved. For examples of how it would look, both
the abiword-docs mailing list, and the abisource-announce mailing list
are now using mailman. Check them out at
http://www.abisource.com/mailman/listinfo

> As for Aaron's concern, it's possible to disable the monthly password
> reminders... But then, I can't figure out what could be lost if
> someone got their password hijacked - keep the mailing list members
> secret to all but the admin.

Definitely. If you use a valuable password for this info, you're
crazy. And the mailing list monthy reminders will be disabled anyway,
since I hate them.

> Oh, and unless we use SSL (is it supported?) the password would go out
> in the clear anyway if the user changed options...

No, mailman doesn't use SSL.

sam th --- sam@uchicago.edu --- http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
OpenPGP Key: CABD33FC --- http://samth.dyndns.org/key
DeCSS: http://samth.dynds.org/decss