Re: Fast-Saved & Mac DOCs (Was Re: Export Word -> save as RTF .doc?)

Subject: Re: Fast-Saved & Mac DOCs (Was Re: Export Word -> save as RTF .doc?)
From: Hubert Figuiere (hfiguiere@teaser.fr)
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 03:40:35 CDT

On mardi, mai 1, 2001, at 06:30 , Dom Lachowicz wrote:

>> MAC (Word) files: what prospect is there of opening MAC files
>> (especially Word documents) in AW on other platforms?
>
> MAC Word format is not the same as WinWord. wv doesn't handle Mac Word
> DOCs (will it ever?) The main problem here is that:
>
> 1) I haven't *ever* run across a spec/doc on MacWord format

Word 6, 98 and 2001 share the same file format as their Windows
counterpart (resp Word 6, Word 97 and Word 2000). Perhaps their are
subtle differences as MSFT is used to do. But we might be able to do
this.
Word 4/5 format is more like Word 5 for MS-DOS on WinWord 2.0: a flat
binary file that is not contained in an OLE2 file.

> 2) I haven't *ever* gotten a MacWord doc, even upon request from people
> who say that it doesn't work.

Just ask me. I have tons of Word 4/5 documents. (I have never produced
documents with later version since they where slower and even when
running Word 5 (68k code) on PowerPC thru the emulator :-) but I may be
able to provide some)

Hub