Re: Mac DOCs

Subject: Re: Mac DOCs
From: Hubert Figuiere (hfiguiere@teaser.fr)
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 11:56:10 CDT

On mardi, mai 1, 2001, at 06:07 , Tomas Frydrych wrote:

> What I said is certainly true for Word 6.0/95. A move from disk to
> floppy does not force conversion; you have to save from Word
> directly to the floppy. You are right, Word does not know that it is
> writting to a PC floppy, but the OS does. This is in fact the official
> MS method of sharing MacWord files with people using WinWord
> found in Word 95 help file, and it works. If you just save a
> MacWord 6.0 document to your hard disk and email it someone
> using WinWord 6.0, they will not be able to open it. On the other
> hand if you save it to a PC formatted floppy and email that file on
> the floppy, WinWord will be able to open it. In the same way, if I
> email a Win 6.0 DOC to someone using MacWord, they will not be
> able to open it; however, if they copy the file to a PC formatted
> floppy and then try to open it, it will work.

What you are explaining is a problem with broken mail software that
insist on sending BinHex for attachment, and on the other file broken
mailer that does NOT know about binhex and does NOT warn the user.
Broken + broken, what do you expect as a result.

And for the file received by the Mac user, this a because their
configuration is broken: they do not associate word document with the
.doc extension. But I'm sure that if you launch word and open the .doc
file, it will work.

> Perhaps MS learned the lesson with Word 97 and 2000, but I know
> for fact that this the case with Word 95 files, because I was doing
> Word programming for some folk using MacWord, and this was the
> only way, except for mailing them a floppy disk, that they could
> transfer my templates to the Mac. It was a real nuisance because
> their whole network was Mac-only :-).

That was not a Word problem. I can't believe I said that.

Hub