Re: Mac DOCs

Subject: Re: Mac DOCs
From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 04:27:38 CDT

> Hub:
> What you are explaining is a problem with broken mail software that
> insist on sending BinHex for attachment, and on the other file broken
> mailer that does NOT know about binhex and does NOT warn the user.
> Broken + broken, what do you expect as a result.

It most definitely is not mail problem. It makes no difference if the
file is BinHexed (which my mail software has no difficulties dealing
with!), uuencoded, in MIME format, or if the mail client is bypassed
by ftp-ing the file to an upload site!

> And for the file received by the Mac user, this a because their
> configuration is broken: they do not associate word document with the
> .doc extension. But I'm sure that if you launch word and open the .doc
> file, it will work.
It has nothing to do with associations. Word reports that there is
an error importing the document; the same is true for WinWord
which in fact often crashes in the process.

> That was not a Word problem. I can't believe I said that.
It is a Word problem, and if you go into the trouble of reading the
instructions in Word 95 help file on how to exchange your
documents with Mac users, you will see that this is a known
`feature'.

Tomas