Re: footnotes and tables (was Re: 1.0 features)

Subject: Re: footnotes and tables (was Re: 1.0 features)
From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 04:27:38 CDT

> Paul:
> Most academics who use word processors need footnotes. Most word processor
> users are not academics. Footnotes are used outside academia, but not that
> often. My spouse is an academic, and I'd love to have footnotes for her,
> but I'll ship 1.0 without them.

Well, most wordprocessor users have their wordprocessors
supplied by their business and if we are honest, we cannot expect
to make a sizable inrow into that market in the _foreseeable_
future. The academic world, on the other hand, could be a market
to easier get into, and has the potential of attacking the business
market in the long run, for if a lecturer will start expecting student
papers in AW format, there is a good chance that the students will
stick with AW when their education is over, and in turn put
pressure on their employer to let them use it (all the big companies
realise that, that is why so many software products can be bought
for greatly reduced prices if you are a student or a lecturer). Thus,
being an academic :), I am reluctant to dismiss the academia as a
marginal user group, and footnotes and equations as not very
critical features.

Tomas