Topic: Tables and 1.0

Subject: Topic: Tables and 1.0
From: WJCarpenter (bill-abisource@carpenter.ORG)
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 01:12:34 CDT

I can't get a working current version in my environment to fiddle with
the user interface right now, so I'm just guessing from your
description. Unless it's simpler in practice than it sounds, this is
not really a reasonable UI for a Church Secretary. (Though I applaud
the fact that we now have at least rudimentary tables instead of no
tables.) I'm sure it looks like the invention of sliced bread to
former troff tbl users, though :-).

ms> I find them easy to use and more intuitive than the MS table
ms> editor. Of course since they're like Latex tables which I know
ms> well I may be quite biased. I would be very interested to know
ms> how MS Word power users like Randy, find these.

I dunno. In MSWord, you insert a table by answering a dialog asking
how many rows and columns you want. It's not too important to be
right the first time. You can optionally select from a couple of
dozen pre-cooked table styles. After that, you have grabs all over
the place for resizing the table or individual rows and columns. You
can also select some horizontal, vertical, or rectangular range of
cells and get a context menu for things like deleting, merging, and
formatting.

I'm not even close to being a power user of MSWord (I don't even know
what the "MS table editor" is that you mentioned), so maybe this was a
lot harder in earlier versions of MSWord. In MSWord 2000, tables are
just pretty darned simple to deal with.