Re: Call for writers - help us with the user documentation

Subject: Re: Call for writers - help us with the user documentation
From: WJCarpenter (bill-abisource@carpenter.ORG)
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 00:40:40 CDT

paul> Software teams that don't draw a feature line never ship.
paul> Software products that never ship are, in the long run, doomed
paul> to fail.

AbiWord has already shipped several times. We recently saw on this
list a report that it is seeing a few thousand downloads a day from
SourceForge for 0.7.14.

Incremental releases of reasonably stable software are apparently
acceptable to some impressively-sized audience. In the face of this
direct and measurable evidence, I don't understand the claim of a need
for a "1.0" stamp to make AbiWord popular.

Is it the user audience who needs "1.0" or the developers? It's
reasonable for some developers to want that, perhaps even very
strongly, but that's different from users clamoring that way.