Re: Topic: Tables and 1.0

Subject: Re: Topic: Tables and 1.0
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 01:42:45 CDT

On Tue, 1 May 2001, WJCarpenter wrote:

> I can't get a working current version in my environment to fiddle with
> the user interface right now, so I'm just guessing from your
> description. Unless it's simpler in practice than it sounds, this is
> not really a reasonable UI for a Church Secretary. (Though I applaud
> the fact that we now have at least rudimentary tables instead of no
> tables.) I'm sure it looks like the invention of sliced bread to
> former troff tbl users, though :-).
>
> ms> I find them easy to use and more intuitive than the MS table
> ms> editor. Of course since they're like Latex tables which I know
> ms> well I may be quite biased. I would be very interested to know
> ms> how MS Word power users like Randy, find these.
>
> I dunno. In MSWord, you insert a table by answering a dialog asking
> how many rows and columns you want. It's not too important to be
> right the first time. You can optionally select from a couple of
> dozen pre-cooked table styles. After that, you have grabs all over
> the place for resizing the table or individual rows and columns. You
> can also select some horizontal, vertical, or rectangular range of
> cells and get a context menu for things like deleting, merging, and
> formatting.

With the currant pseudo-tables, this is all done by rubbing out lines,
typing text across tabstops, moving tabs in the top ruler.

It's all simple and does not need a GUI. I think I'll add a toolbar icon
to insert a tab_bar rather than a left tab when clicking in the top ruler.
Converting left tabs to bar tabs is the most time consuming part of the
current scheme.

> I'm not even close to being a power user of MSWord (I don't even know
> what the "MS table editor" is that you mentioned), so maybe this was a
> lot harder in earlier versions of MSWord. In MSWord 2000, tables are
> just pretty darned simple to deal with.

Great! We'll copy their UI when we do proper tables then :-)

Cheers

Martin