Re: Topic: Plugins and 1.0

Subject: Re: Topic: Plugins and 1.0
From: Thomas Fletcher (thomasf@qnx.com)
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 08:58:39 CDT

On Tue, 1 May 2001, Dom Lachowicz wrote:

> I'm very much in favor of extending AbiWord via a plugin architecture and
> I've even devoted enough time to create a fledgling XP plugin API. We still
> need to do some work (plugin dialog, load plugins on startup) for this to be
> really useful to our users. These are minor details, as far as I'm
> concerned.
>
> We'll also need to change the build system so that it can compile things
> like filters into shared libs (dll, so, etc...), but that's not impossible.
>
> I guess my major concern is "how powerful do we want to make it?" This has a
> lot to do with developer time and interest. An introspective API would be
> great, but I'd be more than happy with a "dumb" interface to things. Just my
> perspective. Convince me otherwise if you feel the need to.

I'm all for plugins and modularity. However this change
will rock several boats and the waves will take a while to
settle. Since it is not just a code change, but also a
potential re-org of the way we build components I'm voting
in favour of the idea, but putting my vote for post 1.0.

Thomas
Thomas (toe-mah) Fletcher QNX Software Systems
thomasf@qnx.com Neutrino Development Group
(613)-591-0931 http://www.qnx.com/~thomasf