Re: Mac DOCs

Subject: Re: Mac DOCs
From: Hubert Figuiere (hfiguiere@teaser.fr)
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 13:56:36 CDT

On mercredi, mai 2, 2001, at 08:30 , Tomas Frydrych wrote:

> Hi Hub,
>
> I have looked into the Word 95 help file and it says less than I
> remembered it to say; it goes like this:
>
> "Move files between Windows and the Macintosh
>
> 1 Save your Windows file to a 3.5-inch floppy disk in a file format
> that can be opened by the Macintosh application you plan to use.
> 2 Insert the floppy disk in the Macintosh's floppy disk drive.
>
> The Macintosh must be equipped with a floppy disk drive that
> supports Apple File Exchange.
>
> 3 Start Apple File Exchange, and then use it to move your file
> from the floppy disk to the Macintosh's hard disk."

That are actually the steps to read PC diskette on Mac prior the MacOS
7.5 that did include Exchange PC/Mac.
At that time, Microsoft did not even know what was the Internet :-)

> However, it also says "Microsoft Word for Windows 95, version 7.0,
> Microsoft Word 6.0 for the Macintosh, and Microsoft Word 6.0 for
> Windows use the same file format. You don't need a converter to
> share files between these versions of Word."
>
> So I am beginning to think that you are right. What I cannot get my
> head around is why I could not open docs that were uploaded using
> ftp.

Did you transfer them in BINARY (or IMAGE) mode ? If not, that is
problably the problem: Mac use CR as end of line and Windows use CR LF
pairs. So an ASCII transfer did do the conversion.

Hub