Re: Mac DOCs

Subject: Re: Mac DOCs
From: Larry Kollar (kollar@alltel.net)
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 22:01:22 CDT

Tomas Frydrych wrote:

>... If you
>save a MacWord document onto a PC formated floppy it can be
>opened by WinWord no problem (even if you just email it from the
>floppy). On the other hand, if you save MacWord on a Mac
>formated disk, Windows version of Word cannot open it.
>Endianness is the only obvious explanation for this behaviour.

No, it's because Windows boxes can't read Mac-format floppies.
Fortunately, Macs are backward-compatible, so you can create
a PC-format floppy on a Mac & copy Word files to it. I know
that the files themselves are compatible; I moved a bunch of
Word6-Mac files to a Windohs box about 4 years ago....

The other gotcha is that Mac'ers, who don't need extensions
to tell the system what kind of file it's dealing with, got
out of the habit of using extensions a looooong time ago.
(This is biting me at work; I have a big pile of FrameMaker
files w/o extensions that I need to pass onto Windows-using
coworkers... and their systems whine about missing extensions.)

Combine that with some goofy email programs of days gone by,
and you can see that you don't need a recipe for disaster --
just heat & serve.

        Larry