Re: Topic: Plugins and 1.0

Subject: Re: Topic: Plugins and 1.0
From: Dom Lachowicz (cinamod@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 20:42:47 CDT

Thomas F.:
> > I'm all for plugins and modularity. However this change
> > will rock several boats and the waves will take a while to
> > settle. Since it is not just a code change, but also a
> > potential re-org of the way we build components I'm voting
> > in favour of the idea, but putting my vote for post 1.0.

Scott:
>The plugins are great!
>Mark them to 0.9.x devel series ;)

I guess that I'm advocating for more of a "laisse-faire" ("let it be") or
relaxed attitude toward plugins. If someone steps up to do the necessary
work, I'm going to argue that we shouldn't shun him/her. The architecture is
in place now. We can load/unload dumb plugins from disk. And with my recent
imp/exp code, we can dynamically register/unregister filters, which is a
good testcase for any plugin architecture.

So I'm not feeling ambitious enough to step up and actually code a plugin at
the moment (actually, it's more like "I don't want to fool with the build
system" - making plugins out of importer/exporters is trivial now), but
someone might feel ambitious enough for it. If someone steps up to do the
work, I'm inclined to enourage that person, though I do totally understand
and appreciate your argument, Thomas.

Dom