Re: FmtMark

Subject: Re: FmtMark
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 10:01:19 CDT

On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 10:18:38AM -0400, Ron Ross wrote:
> > > paste in somewhere else would probably eliminate any desire this particular
> > > user has for the "madness".
>
> I've lost the original post, and thus the context, of that
> "reveal-codes" line, but as WordPerfect user since WP 4.2, I'm still
> rather inclined toward that madness; it's still my all-too-often need
> last resort for cleaning up messy Word documents I receive (OK, and
> sometimes my own foolishness ;-) .

Well, opinion is mixed on this issue. Anyone who has ever used WP
believes that all word processors should have Reveal Codes. As
someone who's very first use of computers was playing on my parents
copy of WP 5.0 (they had 4.2 before that), I share this view.
However, the goal of AbiWord should be to make this uneccessary, since
it is fundamentally only for cleaning up problems. But, being a cynic
and all, I think AbiWord will have use for reveal codes. However,
being able to edit the XML is a nice substitute.

sam th --- sam@uchicago.edu --- http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
OpenPGP Key: CABD33FC --- http://samth.dyndns.org/key
DeCSS: http://samth.dynds.org/decss