Re: FmtMark

Subject: Re: FmtMark
From: Ron Ross (ronross@colba.net)
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 10:24:51 CDT

Sam TH <sam@uchicago.edu> writes:

> > I've lost the original post, and thus the context, of that
> > "reveal-codes" line, but as WordPerfect user since WP 4.2, I'm still
> > rather inclined toward that madness; it's still my all-too-often need
> > last resort for cleaning up messy Word documents I receive (OK, and
> > sometimes my own foolishness ;-) .
>
> Well, opinion is mixed on this issue. Anyone who has ever used WP
> believes that all word processors should have Reveal Codes. As
> someone who's very first use of computers was playing on my parents
> copy of WP 5.0 (they had 4.2 before that), I share this view.
> However, the goal of AbiWord should be to make this uneccessary, since
> it is fundamentally only for cleaning up problems. But, being a cynic
> and all, I think AbiWord will have use for reveal codes. However,
> being able to edit the XML is a nice substitute.

Indeed! Besides, Emacs, PSGML, Openjade and assorted tools have long
since usurped WP for most of my word processing (no, no, I sware, I'm
just a Normal User!). File conversions, and impossibly complicated
documents (did somebody say multi-page nested tables? Importing and
exporting them are a mess in _all_ circumstances) are what still keep me
attached to word processors. I knew nothing of AbiWord when I first
downloaded it and tried it out (0.6.x I think, and I was looking for a
Wordpad replacement!!); then I decided to look at the file it produced
in the One True Editor... Amazed! I've been keeping up with you guys
ever since.

Ron