RE: Topic: Just Works and 1.0

Subject: RE: Topic: Just Works and 1.0
From: WJCarpenter (bill-abisource@carpenter.ORG)
Date: Fri May 04 2001 - 00:19:50 CDT

paul> A. "Ship it" ... Include the feature, even though it only
paul> half-works. B. "Next release" ... Leave it out, and release it
paul> when it Just Works. C. "Stall" ... Hold this release
paul> indefinitely, until it Just Works.

This is not enough granularity, because different people have
different perceptions of what "half-works" means. I doubt that
"half-works" and "just works" are opposites. Here are three
definitions that immediately spring to mind. It wouldn't surprise me
if others on this list were actually thinking something different from
all of them.

1. "half-works" means it has a bunch of bugs, maybe crashes, maybe
    doing non-intuitive and/or irritating things instead of what
    people really want.

2. "half-works" means "not complete". For example, if we had a
    tables implementation that didn't let you vary the thickness of
    the border lines, that would be a surprise to some users, but some
    percentage of them would say, "I don't care about that" and some
    other perecentage would say, "I care about that, but I guess I can
    live without it for a while longer".

3. "half-works" means "not complete" like above, but the
    incompleteness is more random and unpredicatable. If we didn't
    have variable table borders, that would seem incomplete. If we
    had variable table borders except on the left sides of cells and
    tables, that would be incomplete and kind of incomprehensible no
    matter what technical challenge led to it.

There's are variations of #2 that are the developer versions of the
given user version. They are:

2d-i: Incomplete, but there is an architecture that makes it look
       like a simple matter of coding to get all the way there as time
       permits.

2d-ii: Incomplete, and the architecture makes it look like adding the
       rest of the feature will require a lot of ripping and
       rewriting.

Really, I don't think it makes that much sense to talk about
complicated things like tables or notes and citations as single
features. They're really a composite of interwoven featurettes. They
can quite often be implemented a few featurettes at a time with a plan
for the whole thing. In fact, in my experience, the ability to
decompose the implementation is one of the signposts that point to a
good design and architecture.