Re: RE: Topic: Just Works and 1.0

Subject: Re: RE: Topic: Just Works and 1.0
From: David Given (dg@tao-group.com)
Date: Fri May 04 2001 - 05:06:53 CDT

[...]
> This is not enough granularity, because different people have
> different perceptions of what "half-works" means. I doubt that
> "half-works" and "just works" are opposites. Here are three
> definitions that immediately spring to mind. It wouldn't surprise me
> if others on this list were actually thinking something different from
> all of them.

One thing that's possible, with a feature that's complete enough to be useful
but not complete enough to be finished, is to pop up a dialogue box the first
time it's used:

---wavy dream effect---
Warning! [feature name] is incomplete. While it has some functionality, other
parts do not work. In particular:

[brief summary of what works and what doesn't]

For more information, see [link to Abisource web page describing feature].

[X] Don't show this dialogue again.

[CANCEL] [OK]
---wavy dream effect---

This gives the user plenty of warning that [feature name] doesn't all work, in
a reasonably user-friendly manner, but also allows it to be used if necessary.

--
+- David Given --------McQ-+ "I've just had a terrible thought --- what if all
+- http://www.cowlark.com -+ discussing _Blakes 7_