RE: Topic: Just Works and 1.0

Subject: RE: Topic: Just Works and 1.0
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Fri May 04 2001 - 15:54:54 CDT

Bill,

Thanks for your *superb* clarification below. I'm assuming that you share
my sense that 1, 3, and 2d-ii are to be avoided if at all possible, no?

If so, then I'm more than happy to discuss any features which are clearly in
the 2d-i category. In general, I tend to focus my efforts on getting
features to Just Work for a given release. If that means displacing the
entire feature to a later release, then so be it. In many -- perhaps most
-- cases, I can live with that.

However, releasing features which are clearly in category 2d-i is less
scary. As you say, if the first half of the feature really does Just Work,
then most reasonable people will be willing to wait one release to get the
other half in the same state. That's a promise they'll only buy once,
though.

If we're not in 2d-i, then it's very very hard to know what it'll take to
guarantee that the rest of the feature *will* in fact be ready for the next
release, and that just sucks. I don't want to get stuck in that situation.

If we're gonna make any #2 promises, then I want to be very sure we know how
to deliver on them.

Paul