[owner-abiword-dev@abisource.com: BOUNCE abiword-dev@abisource.com: Non-member submission from [M Carling <m@idiom.com>]]

Subject: [owner-abiword-dev@abisource.com: BOUNCE abiword-dev@abisource.com: Non-member submission from [M Carling ]]
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Tue May 08 2001 - 02:18:16 CDT

sam th --- sam@uchicago.edu --- http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
OpenPGP Key: CABD33FC --- http://samth.dyndns.org/key
DeCSS: http://samth.dynds.org/decss

attached mail follows:

Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 22:31:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: M Carling <m@idiom.com>
To: abiword-dev@abisource.com
Subject: Re: Topic: Just Works and 1.0

Paul writes:

> If we know that we're working on a feature which won't Just Work (and
> for every release, there's always at least one of those), which
> situation do you think most users would rather have?

> A. "Ship it" ... Include the feature, even though it only half-works.
> B. "Next release" ... Leave it out, and release it when it Just Works.
> C. "Stall" ... Hold this release indefinitely, until it Just Works.

I'm not an Abiword developer, so I'm not sure how welcome my comments are
here. I've only submitted a few bug reports, so I'll give my two cents.

I'm a CIO, so I don't write code anymore and don't have a lot of time for
fiddling with things. I use each x.y.z release of Abiword when the debs
become available and report bugs. My users outside IT can't use Abiword
yet. Too many things don't Just Work.

Option A scares the hell out me, though whether something Just Works or
not is subjective. If the Abiword developer community can't some to a
consensus that a feature Just Works, I'd rather see it disabled for the
release at hand (Option B). Option C may occasionally be justified, but
the losses are cumulative, so are rarely worthwhile. If it takes a few
extra days to fix something, sure. If longer than a week or so, it's
probably better to leave the feature for the next release (unless the
feature Just Worked in a previous release).

M Carling

ps: I don't think Tables are worth holding up 1.0. Just one opinion.