Re: FmtMark

Subject: Re: FmtMark
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Tue May 08 2001 - 18:23:04 CDT

On Tue, 8 May 2001, Chris Winne wrote:

> On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 10:02:35PM +1000, Martin Sevior wrote:

> > > Perhaps there could be a way to "capture" the FmtMark state, and paste it
> > > to another location. I am thinking of my 12-year-old daughter's (who, by
> > > the way, also love "The Ant") of, when typing up questions for school (in
> > > *bold* and particular indent), then goes back and fills in the answer notBold,

> > Wow! A Normal Person :-) Abi explicitly preserves the formating of the
> > text you cut and paste. When you paste your text you always have same
> > format as what you cut. This is normally what people want.
> >
> Hey, not TOO normal, how many normal people get up at 5 AM to catch up
> on the AbiWord mailing list. I do enjoy it, infighting et al.
>
> > The feature you want I think is "styles". We're working on that now. That
> > way you can fill in all the answers you want, define a style for the
> > answer (including indent, boldness etc.) then select the region you want
> > to change (greying) and apply the style. All text in the range will then
> > match your requested style.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Martin
>
> Styles may help, but I do so hate filling in a dialogue when the information
> is already in the document and I may have to remember or write down all the
> indent/font etc information needed for styles.
>
> However, would it be possible to grab the current style at the current cursor
> location in order to fill in the style form? That (along with Dom's quick
> commit of the formatless copy :-) would make me even happier with Abiword.

It would not be hard to implement this at all. It mostly boiler plate
to create some buttons, a bit of gimp work to create the icon and the new
mouse shape, and a few LOC to actually do the properties capture and
paste.

It would be a good POW for people who want to to get started with Abi.

> BTW, this formatless copy inspired me get CVS and download and compile the
> up-to-date version. Actually beats gz tarballs in terms of ease.

Excellent. Thanks for the input. It's nice to know we can help people with
not much effort :-)

Cheers

Martin