Re: GIFs

Subject: Re: GIFs
From: Pierre Abbat (phma@oltronics.net)
Date: Thu May 10 2001 - 12:58:05 CDT

On Thu, 10 May 2001, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
> First, converting from PNG to PNM is a lossly conversion.

Please explain that as it does not agree with what I know.

>Second,
>screen shots do NOT display well as JPEG since the JPEG algorithm tends to
>blur text.

That is why I said no chroma subsampling and set the quality factor to 88 which
is sufficient to eliminate visible sand.

Take a look at abi/user/wp/help/en-US/images/print-unix.jpg which I shrank by
this method (except using my own scaling program) from print-unix.png .

phma